Eythorne & Elvington


A Church Near You - St Peter & St Paul

St Peter & St Paul

Church Hill,





Rev Sue White

t/ 07903 312 144

Email Rev Sue White


Church Warden - Jakki Carswell



Eythorne - Description

Extract from the Buildings of England, John Newman, 1983.

St Peter & St Paul

A comfortably stocky flint church, as seen from the NW Nave, with a lower chancel, as it appears, a NW tower, and a S aisle wider and higher than the nave. Blocked W doorway however in this ‘aisle’, and, sure enough, it turns out inside that the church is a complete building of c.1200, a nave and N aisle, chancel and N chapel to which a Perp tower was added where a N porch should have been. Indeed it acts as such and is vaulted. Good boss, a head among leaves. C13 N doorway, and lancets in aisle and chapel. Nave arcade with a square pier, slightly stop-chamfered, and wide pointed arches to match. Abacus plainer than that on the S doorway and on the arch from aisle to chapel. Wide chancel arch with a continuous chamfer. Chancel arcade rebuilt. Only the SEDLIA go beyond such austerity. They have been brutally restored, but the shaft capital is original, just like a capital of the 1170’s in some unimportant part of Canterbury Cathedral, but with trefoil leaves in place of the crockets. – FONT. Leaf bowl dated 1628. Crude relief figure repeated seven times, of a naked woman holding a torch in one hand and hiding her nakedness with the other. What was the significance of this distant echo of the Venus Pudica? – LECTERN, by Seddon, in a simple C18 style. – PLATE. Cup, 1562; Paten Cover, 1577.